Monday, January 26, 2009

"Different Muscles"

Just back from a weekend in south Texas with 14 classmates/fraternity brothers. I rented a "beach bike," complete with a wide saddle and honkin' big handlebars. I got outside on a bike for the first time in 2009 -- probably got about 3 hours of riding time. The ride required different muscles, from my feet up to my hands and shoulders. Working my legs was familiar, everything else was different. I was upright, and exposed to the wind, which I caught well.

The weekend was similar. Spending the weekend with 14 good friends I last saw together in 1986 also required different muscles, most specifically a nimble mind and quick, acerbic tongue. Great fun, and wonderful memories.

Coming home requires reactivation of different muscles, as does donating platelets to those who battle cancer with very, very different muscles, perseverance, and talents.

No comments: