Wednesday, February 04, 2009

"Commitments"


As I considered blogging through the 200 days of my 2009 experience, I wondered if I would create 200 entries. Of course I wouldn't -- I wasn't fully committed to that as a goal. Blogging over the course of the 200 days, and through the range of experiences, was, and is, my commitment.

23 days closer to the PMC -- 172 days from today -- and I more clearly understand what I am committed to for this PMC campaign:

-to acknowledging the fragility of life while appreciating the innumerable blessings of my fortunate existence, whatever it may hold;

-to encourage and invite people to help fund more life-changing and life-saving research at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute well beyond the minimum requirements of PMC riders. To donate to the DFCI via the PMC and the Jimmy Fund, please visit my PMC eGift page.

-to deepening relationships with anyone who is generous enough to allow me to ride in honor of their friends, family, and loved ones who have faced cancer. If there's a cancer survivor, thriver, or angel that you'd like to share with me and Team Avanti, please email me with a favorite story, a fond memory, or just a name.

-to give platelets as often as every two weeks, and to encourage others to do so. It's easy, no more painful than giving blood, and it allows a cancer patient to have a treatment that otherwise must be postponed. Here's info on donating platelets in the Jimmy Fund building at the Dana Farber.

-to embrace the PMC experience as a meditative practice that allows and requires me to be aware of the ebbs and flows of thoughts and feelings through the season. Hence this blog!


Image of the snow bike from the Desert Rose Press Gallery: http://desertrosepress.com/Gallery/

No comments: